Thursday, June 13, 2013

What I’m Obsessing Over Today

I am in the process of collecting information for my little housewife project and I’m having so much fun. Probably too much!! I’ve been online all day looking up any and all information I can. I’m doing this while I should be marinating steak for dinner and bathing my dog but oh well… Don’t worry, the irony of the fact that I’m looking up things about domestic work all the while stuffing my face with pita chips and hummus on my sofa is not at all lost on me… In fact I thinks its hilarious!!

Anyway, I thought I’d share some cute things that I have found on the subject.
First things, first… I bought a vintage cookbook off of eBay. I know, as much as I cook you would think I already had a collection, right? Wrong. But I think this may be the beginning of something new to hoard, er, I mean collect.

I’m super excited for it to come in. It took me two days to decide on what I wanted to be my very first cookbook but I finally decided on a 1st edition, 2nd printing of Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, first published in 1953.

Housewife 5
I haven’t received it yet but I can’t wait! I think next I’ll get the Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook. I’m holding out for a 1st Edition, 1st Printing but I heard they can get expensive so we’ll see how that pans out. As soon as the one I bought comes in I’ll give you all a sneaky peek!!

I have been browsing the internet tirelessly trying to find a book or books about what a housewife TRULY did in the mid 20th century. We all know they cooked, cleaned and took care of the children but HOW did they do it. I don’t want the idealized version (well, maybe I do but I know not every housewife if any were like Donna Reed. I would love to knock this project out of the park with my inner Donna but  I picture my housewife twin to be more Lucy than Donna). I would really like some insight into the goings on of a typical 50s household before children came into play. Was it really that much different than today? Especially sans kids. Probably, but I can’t really find much info on the subject.

I did find a book on Amazon called The Good Housekeeping Guide to Marriage. It was first published in 1938 and republished in 1949 (I ended up ordering it on my kindle because it was free if I read it on my device). It’s not really a book on housekeeping but it gives some “advice” on marriage…before you wed and while you are married. It’s obviously quite dated advice but it’s a good read. It gives insight on peoples thoughts about love and family life at the time. It also has a section on sex in the marriage. Which should be fun (funny) to read when I get to it.

I also found this super cute book and blog. The book is called “Scrumptious Treats for Vintage Housekeepers”. It’s written by Alison May. Alison also has a the cutest little blog ever called Brocante Home. Her book and blog are all about enjoying your life and making everything around you as beautiful as possible. Even housework. And she does it all with vintage flair. I’ve only just started the book but it’s adorable so far. I find her book and blog very empowering, not just for housewives but all women who love to take care of their partner/spouse and children (if they have any). Sometimes I feel a bit strange that I would rather stay home and bake than go teach. Even though I absolutely love what I do for a living I would love to be a stay at home wife/mom.  I love taking care of others. I get a sense of pride when Honey comes home to find a spotless apartment with dinner, dessert and wine waiting. I guess that’s the vintage girl in me.

Anywho… I guess that’s why I’m doing the experiment. I already love the idea of domestic work (most of the time) so why not do it the vintage-y way. Of course it won’t be fully authentic. Especially with cell phones, internet and our HD television but I’ll make it as 50s-ish as possible. I will TRY to limit my internet to only things that pertain to my blog. Ok, and maybe Facebook but I’ll limit it to only a few minutes a day. I have friends and family who don’t always read the blog but love to know what I’m up to.  I have to use my cell phone because we don’t have a landline but I’ll try not to text. No appliances that weren’t around in the 50s…meaning no microwave UGH!!! Even banking will only be done at a teller. I need to set a household budget based only on what Honey brings in. I also need to make a schedule of daily household things that I have to get done every day. All this for 2 weeks…if I last that long (which I probably won’t)!!!

All this is set to start a week from Tuesday. Don’t worry. My posts those weeks won’t only be about the experiment.I’ll try to get some outings in there if possible.

OHHH!! I just thought of something…Does that mean no TCM for me?!?!?! Hmmm…I think I’m allowed a classic movie or show…plus a drink…

(Quick update on the vintage store position I was supposed to be starting. Well, not sure if that’s going to happen after all…Once again my dancing wins. My studio is going to be needing me starting mid July so an extra job will be quite difficult…so we’ll see)
xoxo
post signature

20 comments:

  1. My mother had that cookbook and used it the entire time when I was a kid. My mom is famous for being a very good cook so you chose well with this one. I'm lately reading articles about posture (I'm a Pilates Instructor) and I found that 1950's housewives had fewer back problems than women today because they were so active AND their clothes were somewhat restricting which forced them to work with stronger core muscles (you don't want anyone to look up your skirts while you scrub the floor do you?) Just thought your little dancer self might appreciate that info :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know...about the cookbook as well as having a stronger core lol!!! I never really thought about how all the housework could definitely keep you in shape! That's a great little tidbit!

      Delete
  2. Bummer about the store job-boo! But yeah on the research!!! I have a stellar idea fr you but I am going to email you about it!!! I'm so excited for you! And yes we accept gives of baked goods at the bunny house hehe Ugh its my weakness! Honey is sooo lucky!!!! hehe xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohh, vintage cookbooks are like potato chips, it's mighty hard to stop at just one, let me tell you! :) I've been collecting for years and wished you lived nearby so that you could come over and borrow any that caught your eye from my shelves anytime you wanted, dear gal.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA!! I forgot that you collect cookbooks! Ohhh! I totally wish we lived closer together. Think of all the fun teas we could have!

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to reading about your experiment. I am a stay at home mom, and sometimes I feel funny about how much I like staying home. I guess it's part of my coming of age during the "girl power/shatter the glass ceiling/superwoman" '90s. It was always a given that I was going to college, but when I got there, I hated it. I'm so much happier being at home with my son than I ever was working. Oh, and vintage cookbooks are awesome. I have one from the '70s that I love for the photos alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... That's great. As soon as we are blessed with a little one I think it may be time pull back on the dance teaching to stay at home!

      Delete
  5. I have so many vintage cookbooks and a couple of Household manuals. They are awesome! I have several copies of BHG cookbooks including the one I got on my wedding day and my grandmothers. I look forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's great. I'm just starting to collect. They seem to have a lot of great info and insite into the time.

      Delete
  6. And a fun place to visit! http://my50syear.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohh! Just checked out this site. THANKS a million!!!

      Delete
  7. I think if you can find some cheap Family Circle magazines there are a lot of articles in there about "everyday" life and tons of recipes. How fun is your experiment! I hope you also post lots of photographs of how it turns out! I am just finishing my first dress...boy-o-boy did this take a lot of time. I give a lot of credit to the ladies that made their own clothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I totally forgot about Family Circle. I'm going right over to ebay and etsy right now. I can't wait to see your dress!! Even though it took a while I'm sure the end product is worth it!

      Delete
  8. I collect vintage housekeeping books. I don't know why I love them so much. Maybe it was because they just took pride in doing it - despite it being a chore :)
    I shall be watching to see how you do (what a fun project!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can do it as well as they did. I'm a bit nervous but excited!

      Delete
    2. Well remember- they weren't starting from scratch :) It'll take forever the first couple of weeks as you start, then once you have a routine, it'll be a lot faster :) I have one of the housekeeping schedules online- you can find it here if you are interested :)
      https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0X9frqFuGGySlZKWk5yNFplMlU/edit?usp=sharing

      Have fun!

      Delete
    3. OH no!! I can't open the link!!! Hmmmm... I'll try it again...

      Delete
    4. Oh dear :( Oh well, the one you found online is the one I have. I have a couple of others I need to copy and share online too :)

      Delete
  9. What a nifty project you're doing!

    On the books - have you ever read the I Hate to Housekeep (1962) and I Hate to Cook (1960) books by Peg Bracken? They are super funny and have tips and recipes still relevant today. I love the writer's no nonsense approach to being a housewife.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I collect vintage cookbooks as well! I have been lucky to find them at thrift stores (like my 1943 edition of "The Joy of Cooking" by Irma S. Rombauer), I just can't leave them there!! I inherited from my husbands grandmother 2 awesome cookbooks and a TRUNK full of old recipe cutouts from vintage magazines. The 2 I have from her are "The American Woman's Cookbook" by Ruth Berolzheimer 1943 edition (which I think is the "Mecca" of cookbooks, so informative!!) and Betty Crockers New Picture Cookbook 1961 edition. I found a vintage book called "Happy Living- A Guide For Brides", hardcover book that department stores would give out to bride's when they registered at their store, mine has the store "Sibley's" on the cover. It is definitely a fun read about setting up a household and cooking etc. I will have to write a post myself about my cookbooks and vintage recipe pamphlets. Good luck with the collecting of vintage cookbooks, it is VERY addictiong!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...