Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Vintage Christmas Prep- 3 Months!!!!




Hi everyone!!!

Before I start I want to apologize for the two week absence. UGH!! At first it was just because I was extremely busy with starting the new dance school season. Then I was having trouble with the wireless internet service in our apartment. But, now everything is back to normal and I'm back!!! YAY!!!!

Well, today is September 25th (can you believe that it's the end of September? Already!!! AND Autumn is officially here!!! WOOT!) so you know what that means VINTAGE CHRISTMAS TIME!!!!

I had planned on sharing a 1947 Better Homes and Gardens magazine that I bought from ebay. Unfortunately, it hasn't arrived in the post yet so I'll have to save that for another day. I can't wait to get it!!! I've also ordered a couple of new skirts and some vintage Christmas ornaments. Hopefully it all arrives soon so that I can share.

Since I don't have the magazine yet,  I thought I would share some of the recipes I want to try out this holiday. Since we are trying to do a late 40s Christmas I want to put away some of my trusted new modern recipes and try some older ones. Honey is not too keen on the idea but she's willing to try it. I figured I would do mostly baking recipes since those are the ones that seemed to work best when I did the 50's Housewife project

So here they are:

The first ones come from Gourmet magazine. I was so lucky as to find a list of some of their Christmas cookie recipes from the 1940's. A recipe for every year in the 40's!!! This is a great list of cookies. It states on the website that these are all authentic recipes from their 1940's issues. All of the recipes were retested but none of the recipes were altered in any way! FUN!

honey refrigerator cookies



The next recipe is a 1946 recipe that comes from an unpublished book on British food written by George Orwell. The book was never published because of the severe rationing during wartime. I've always wanted to try a traditional Christmas pudding but always chicken out at the last minute. I've decided to be brave and just go for it this year. 

Christmas pudding



Here is a leaflet of food facts from 1945. It also contains recipes that are made with rationed ingredients. I'm thinking of trying the Mincemeat recipe.




Here are some Honey Filled Cookies from a 1940s Women's Day magazine. They look a little labor intensive but YUMMY! I don't think I've ever had a honey filled cookie!




These last few recipes are from the Edith Adams website (Edith, I've found out, was a fictitious food writer for the Vancouver Sun. There were actually 5 different women who made up Edith. Fun huh?!?). How yummy do these recipes sound?! I think I'll try them all!!!
















So there it is. The start, of my Christmas baking list!!! I usually start gathering recipes around this time every year. Then I start practicing baking new recipes in October. I MUST do a baking trial because, as you may have noticed, I'm a little particular about baking. It has to be perfect, especially for holidays. There is nothing worse than trying out a recipe on the day you need it and it turns out a bust. UGH!!! A pre-bake is a complete must in our house!!!


Don't forget. Only 91 days! Don't let it sneak up on you!!!!



xoxo
post signature

5 comments:

  1. Yah, so I'm pretty much over-the-moon ecstatic about the fact that autumn is here at long last. Yes, I'll miss certain elements of summer (not the least of which is the fact that it usually means having gorgeous sunlight to take outfit snaps in whenever you want), but these season was long in far too many ways, and I can't remember the last time I was more eager to embrace fall's return and plan even further ahead for Christmas myself, too.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious to find out how your baking turns out! Mincemeat is a MUST for Christmas here - the main ingredient in mince pies (and, frankly, Christmas isn't Christmas without mince pies) - my husband has already started looking forward to mince pie season hahaha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing all t hose great retro Christmas tips. I saw your blog on chronically vintage and its really a lovely blog

    kate the old fashioned way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! How do I get on your cookie list...lol I wish I was a baker! I am no good at it though. I think I don't have the patience for baking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waah don't remind me! I need to start my Xmas knitting in Juy...

    Those biscuits look yummy :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...