Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Yes...I'm a Brit at Heart!


Hi all!!!

I hope everyone is having a fantastic start to their week. It's finally cooled off here in NYC thank goodness. We had 7 straight days of 95+ degree weather. UGH! Soooo hot!

As you all know, there was a certain royal baby born yesterday! YAY!!! Who can resist a cute little bundle of joy...royal or not.

You may also know that I am obsessed with anything (and I do mean anything) British, so yesterday was so much fun for me! I'm sure if you live in England my obsession is a little strange, but I can't help it. I think it's because my childhood ballet teacher was British. She was hard core and not always the nicest lady but she was an amazing teacher. She had a very no nonsense air about her that I'm sure made me a better dancer. I started taking from her in my teen years so she had a huge influence in my life. She taught a British style of ballet (the Royal Academy of Dance) which I now teach. Funny, huh?

I also admit that Julie Andrews had a lot to do with my childhood obsession with England. I wanted to meet her sooooooo badly!! I watched "Mary Poppins" and "The Sound of Music" twice a day from the time I was 8 years old until I was a preteen!

And OF COURSE I was totally in love with Princess Diana! My ballet friends and I were completely devastated when she passed.

Then when I finally got to visit London, that was it. I know now that my obsession will NEVER go away! It's just something that Honey has to deal with... and make fun of me about.

So with the arrival of the royal baby and the fact that I LOVE the UK I thought I would share some vintage Royal Family photos that I found a few weeks ago...

Enjoy!

A young Prince Charles and family

Prince Charles on a deer

Queen Elizabeth driving Prince Charles and Princess Anne, 1957

King George VI, the Queen Mother and Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret

Queen Elizabeth square dancing in 1955

The Queen and family

Princess Margaret




Princess Diana with Princes William and Harry






Aren't those photos lovely?!?!

P.S. I'm currently working on my first Christmas prep post! (yay!) So that will be the next post...on the 25th!!! Exactly 5 months til Christmas!!! ( I think my obsession with Christmas and my love for the UK kind of go hand in hand...Thanks a lot Charles Dickens...hehe)

xoxo

post signature

13 comments:

  1. I'm kind of obsessed with Royal stuff, too. I guess since we don't have royalty here in the States, just a bunch of sleazy celebrities. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to see these vintage posts of the Royals. It is exciting and I'm wondering what the baby's name will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone for the tiniest of moments, dear gal, I have been smitten with all things British for as far back as I can possibly remember. I adore Canada and am super grateful to be a Canadian, but many is the time I couldn't help but think I was meant to be born in good, ol' Blighty (ideally to parents who owned a rambling country manor house and were old money to the core! :D). Alas, I'm on this side and don't foresee having the means to own a home in each country anytime soon, so I just delight in being an anglophile and adoring the UK from afar.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that we have this ( among many other things) in common!

      Delete
  4. Im hoping to have a much more vintage styled christmas this year so would love a head start in preparation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I hope I can give you some decent ideas. Or we'll figure it out together!!

      Delete
  5. Heheheheh! It totally tickles me that you are a Britophile! :) Those photos are so lovely - the Queen was such a beautiful and stylish young woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! I totally thought of you the whole time I was writing this! I knew you would get a kick out of my love of your home!!!

      Delete
    2. Can we just take that novelty circle skirt off her hands? I know it must be somewhere!!!

      Delete
  6. Haha, lovely photo's but I guess you know you have a romantic view of the UK (not that there is anything wrong with that). I live on the east coat of Scotland (about 60 miles from Balmoral Castle, if we are talking Royals). I have seen them once, going to church, not long after Charles and Diana married (I was only a little girl and my Grandmother took me to see them). Not exactly a claim to fame though lol.
    Love
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I know a lot my love is purely superficial but that's what makes it fun! I guess a lot of people have the same.diary dreams of NYC, but when you live here it's NOTHING like what you thought it was! Hehe!

      Delete
  7. I love the photos of the Queen as a young woman. Her style was ladylike and classy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't say I am obsessed but I suppose it has been a part of me from the time I was 4 or 5. I watched the wedding the Diana and Charles, I woke up at 3am just to watch the wedding of Kate and William (nutso I am!), and one of my best friends is English (Norwich). But he is funny bc he is sooo anti-British LOL He would much rather live in SA. I think its a beautiful thing to admire another culture or peoples or the country itself. I love America but I am growing more in love with the UK esp England as I get older. I have been 3x but I really want to stay for like a month or more or have a country home there. Ahhhh a girl can dream. I love the history that Europe has that America doesn't have much of-I think thats what ropes me in. And don't get me started on all my favorite shows that the BBC produces. Okay, okay, I totally sound obsessed hehe Great post! xox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...