Monday, July 1, 2013

Mid Century Housewife Day 6: Honey and the Housewife Visit the In -Laws






So sorry today's post is sooooo late. We've been having thunderstorms in the NYC area and my internet was spotty all day. As a matter of fact it still is but it's better than it was this morning.

So yesterday this Mid Century Housewife spent the day at Honey's parents' house. Things never go as planned when we're with her folks. I love her mother but she's not very...ummm...organized when it comes to planning family get togethers. It was supposed to be a small get together for Honey's aunt and uncle who unexpectedly came into town from North Carolina. We were going to have an early dinner, spend some time with the relatives and then go to a (LGBT) Pride party a friend was having. 

Well. I did all my housewifely duties before we left home. So that meant breakfast and light cleaning. We arrived at her mom's house around 3 in the afternoon. When we got there NOTHING had even been started. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but Honey's mom loves to go ALL out when it comes to family dinners, think southern style cooking. So it take hours to prepare. And when we got there she had only started the baked ham. And what else was on the menu you ask??? Well, left to be cooked was, collard greens, baked mac and cheese, sweet potatoes and fried chicken (told ya, completely southern cooking). And absolutely NOTHING was ready. So needless to say Honey had to help get things on track. I wasn't asked to help because Honey's mom still doesn't trust my cooking skills even though I am a really good cook. I guess I am better at baking but it didn't even cross my mind to bake anything. I guess I should have. It would have definitely added to my Housewiving. I could have made some obscure 50s dessert. No scratch that. That would have been a horrible idea. Could you imagine what my soul food cooking, control freak mother in law would have said if I came in with some dessert that included fruit cocktail, whipped cream, marshmallows and jello?!?!?!?!?!?! It makes me giggle to even think of it!!!!!!!

Anyway, so as you could imagine dinner wasn't ready until 7pm. We had planned on being gone by then, but with dinner just finishing there was no way we could just leave. No matter how much we (I) wanted to. So we spent the whole evening at the in-laws. Honey felt so bad because she knew I really wanted to go out and celebrate, especially with DOMA being knocked down and all. I didn't want her to feel too bad, so I put on my big girl face and powered through the evening as only a well mannered vintage girl could! By the way, my dress was a big hit. I didn't take a pic of it because I've put it on the blog already when we went to Viva Las Vegas. It's the pink one shown here And as I said, I was going to come home and change and take pictures of celebration outfit, but that never came to pass. It's ok. I'll save it for another time. 

The only near diaster was my hair. I pin curled it the night before and brushed it out into this cute style but as soon as we got to where we were going it started pouring rain!!!! Good thing I had my hair emergency kit in my purse (hair pins, brush, snood and a travel sized bottle of hairspray). I was able to wrangle it and make a even better style! Honey's mom kept saying I looked like Lucille Ball. Total compliment!!!

Well, that's all for now. Just thought I would do a quick post while I'm waiting on Honey to get here and the internet is actually working. Yes, Honey is working late...again...so we're having a late dinner.

What's on the menu tonight? Salmon loaf!!! HAHA!!! Doesn't sound too appetizing, huh? Well tune in tomorrow and I'll let you know whether it is a success or a bust.

I'll leave you all with a recipe that I would have liked to entertain the in- laws with. Hehehe! I'm still giggling!! (I need to find a bigger pic of this! I wish I could tell what the recipe was saying)





One more thing. I was nominated for a Leibster Award by the lovely Joanna at Dividing Vintage Moments!!! YAY!! It's my second one!! I'll be sure to nominate my blog pics and answer her questions as soon as I'm off of housewife duty! Thanks so much Joanna!!!!

xoxo


post signature

5 comments:

  1. Don't ya just love family! eep!
    (Jakk's family did a similar thing to me last Xmas - you have my sympathy).
    And huzzah for the DOMA-defeat. We were cheering for you guys from across the ocean :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your housewife project. I try to follow America's Housekeeping Book too but I never get too far I guess that has something to do with having a 2 and a 1 year old!Have read your whole blog in a week and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that pink dress on you. How could anyone give you a hard time in that dress. Oh my. Salmon loaf? Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh in laws...fun...NOT heheh You were a great sport though. Def take pics of that salmon loaf-sounds mighty interesting!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a long, nerve frazzling day indeed, dear gal. For better or worse, my in-laws live on the other side of the world and don't speak a word of English, so I get spared from such visits. I'm happy to say though that my husband has an absolutely awesome relationship with my folks (he loves spending time with them, even if I'm not there), which sure makes all of our lives easier.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...