Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mid Century Housewife Day 7: Salmon Loaf...Another Mid Century Food Fail


Yes, It happened again.

Another food fail.

This time with Salmon Loaf. I know, I know. It doesn't sound good to begin with. But you never know, right. 

Well, it's not that great. At all. I think its all the bread crumbs mixed with canned fish. Just not the best texture combination. The taste wasn't TERRIBLE. But I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Honey had a bad day at work so she was a little more straightforward in telling me she thought it was disgusting. HA! But, that's the point of cooking all these recipes this week. There's bound to be some bad ones. Luckily it's been more good than bad. 

If I had stuck with the Searchlight Recipe Book that I used in the posts from Day 4 and 5 we would have been eating...salmon roll...Which is basically tinned salmon rolled in a bread dough. I'm not sure which is worse!! 

Here is the recipe... (from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)





And here it is in all it's fishy glory!






Yep. This, my dears, is a salmon loaf. Like a meat loaf but made with (of course) canned salmon...




I had hope for this recipe because I looked up a modern version of the recipe and it had gotten 4 stars in the reviews. But nope... I didn't even like this one. I think it's also the addition of the white sauce in it (shiver). 

BUT...dessert was a treat!






It was exactly what the recipe says it is. A pudding brownie or a brownie-y pudding. It was kind of like those molten lava chocolate cakes. Really tasty. I put the last of our ice cream on top. And added some caramel sauce. A really good way to end the night.




This was strictly a food post because the daily housewife routine just repeats itself everyday with only a few slight changes. I think I'm going to keep much of the schedule when life goes back to normal at the end of the week. Especially the tidying up first thing in the morning. It keeps the house nice and neat without a lot of work. 

But I'll tell you what I've been struggling with. I've been struggling with actually having to get totally dressed first thing in the morning. Usually I wake up early and piddle about the house in my pajamas until it's time for me to start getting ready for work. Only then do I put on a full face and do my hair and pretty up. Before that, I'm quite a homely sight!!!! But the housewife schedule requires that you get dressed right after breakfast. It's killing me!! Of all the things that you would think would be hard for me these two weeks and it's putting on clothes!! Haha! Oh well, at least the house dresses I have are comfortable. 



Stay tuned for Day 8 (geez, has it been that long already?!?!?!)

xoxo
post signature

5 comments:

  1. You know what would have made the Salmon Roll more edible, even though I know you are trying to follow the instructions to a T - but hey sometimes you gotta give a little lol, would have been to cut the roll into smaller segments and fry it in olive oil. Reading the recipe, minus the white sauce (ICK), sounds similar to a crab cake recipe. I wonder if you substituted milk for cream or used milk as a wash for the crumbs to adhere to, it probably would have been better as far as the texture goes....sometimes I really just wonder who came up with some of those recipes because some of the instructions just completely defy the laws of making dishes correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In principle the recipe doesn't sound bad, just really bland IMO (which, as I'm sure your finding, does tend to happen relatively often with vintage savoury dishes). I'd have been inclined to jazz it up with some more seasonings, perhaps fresh herbs, and likely sundried tomatoes, sweetcorn, or some olives instead of the celery.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! My great grandma makes these all the time and they are super yummy except she makes them as salmon cakes! Same idea- get your salmon and pull all of the skin and bones out so you have nice flaky salmon (2 cans), add a diced onion, an egg or two, breadcrumbs and whatever herbs or spices you like with salmon. Form it into patties like burger and pan fry in a little. Flip them so they get brown on both sides and serve with some varierty of potato, veg, mac and cheese or whatever mid century sides you like. They're cheap and easy and very tasty! I love Jessica's idea of sundried tomatoes and sweetcorn. Don't leave a plate of them on the stove for unsuspecting roommates, though. I did that once and they thought they were oatmeal cookies! They said "Brittany makes the worst damn oatmeal cookies! BWAAAHHAAHAAA!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am nominating you for the Liebster Award. (If you have been nominated before I apologize.) If you would like to participate please check out my post with the rules and link back to me. If you have already participated previously and would like to bow out this time I would still love to read your answers as it can be a fun way to get to know other bloggers so send me your link to your answers. I Look forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the little bit at the end about what is hardest for you. Oh and the commentary on the Salmon Loaf. I read that and just immediately said "eh" ha!

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...